Sunday, February 11, 2007

Introduction: About My Two Gadgets

Hi everyone, I am Peony. I am a senior student in University of Southern California with an emphasis in Business Information Systems. I love technology, particularly in cellphones, cameras, and music players, but sometimes I hate technology because it goes out of control. In the future, I will write about technologies, but mainly gadgets like cellphones and cameras.

Since this is my first blog, I decided to talk about my current cellphone and camera.


INTRODUCTION: My Two Gadgets
Click to enlarge.Click to enlarge.

I am currently using a Sony Ericsson K800i cellphone, and a Sony Cybershot T50 camera. As you might see in the photo, my old cellphone and old camera are also Sony products. Well, maybe this is called "lock-in." I cannot help to switch to Nokia cellphones or Canon cameras because I am used to the Sony manuals. If I need to switch to a Nokia cellphone or a Canon camera, I will need extra time to learn the functions and manuals, which is the switching cost incurred. Hence, I rather stay with Sony products. Simply, it is similar to why people do not want to switch to a Mac computer from a Windows PC because they are used to Microsoft's operating system (OS), and they do not want to learn how to operate the Mac OS.

When I compare my old cellphone and camera with the new ones, I am amazed by the advances in technology. Regardless of inflation or the time value of money, I spent almost the same amount of money, but got much better functionality after 3-4 years. Is that an effect of the "Moore's Law", which says that data density has doubled at approximately every 18 months?


MY CAMERAS: Sony Cybershot T50 vs Sony Cybershot P2
In 2002, I got my first digital camera. It was the Sony Cybershot P2, which has 2.0 Mega Pixels. It was one of the latest and smallest models in 2002. However, trends changed rapidly over the years. Cameras are no longer in silver color, and they tend to be more tiny in size with additional functions. Last Christmas, I bought a new digital camera. It has 7.2 Mega Pixels, and it is a touch panel screen. Also, I am able to draw on the pictures with the special pen provided. Undoubtedly, the screen size is a lot larger; it is almost the double of my old camera.

Although 10.0 Mega Pixels digital cameras are in market, I think 7.2 Mega Pixels is indeed enough for the general consumers. Besides the advancement in resolutions, Sony is one of the pioneers to develop a touch panel camera with drawing function. However, I doubt the lifespan of this camera will be any longer than my previous one because I have a perception: The more multifunctional/advanced the product is, the sooner it will malfunction (Read "All Technological Systems Can Fail" here.). Perhaps this is the market strategy for new technologies. Otherwise, how can the manufacturers attract people to buy their new models?


MY CELLPHONES: SE K800i vs SE T630
In 2004, I bought my first color screen cellphone, which was the Sony Ericsson T630. It is equipped with a 0.1 Mega Pixels camera, including Infrared and Bluetooth connectivity. I really liked my tiny white phone and was satisfied with all the functions. However, new cellphones are released to the market in Hong Kong (where I used to live) every month (Why? Maybe because Asians are more open to new technology, and cellphones are like part of their fashion. It is quite common to see Asians changing new cellphones every other month.). The cellphones get thinner, or have much more attractive functions. It seems that I am never able to catch up with the trend; thus, I give up. Eventually, I bought my new cellphone this year. It is equipped with a 3.2 Mega Pixels camera, including Infrared and Bluetooth connectivity, radio, MP3 player, and 3G video conference option.

What I find interesting is I (so as many K800i users) am happy with the 3.2 Mega Pixels camera although the quality is not as good a digital camera. In addition, I am happy that I have 3G video conference option although it is not a capable function in the California. These are the results of "battle for the living room," whereas I have a device that performs multiple roles. As technology becomes more powerful, people expect more from a specific device. In Hong Kong and the United States, cellphones with cameras and MP3 players are common, but in Japan, many of their cellphones can display video content like a TV. I believe one day everyone will need only one device that performs all the tasks that a cellphone, camera, MP3 player, laptop, and television can do. Even more advanced, maybe we will use such device as an ID and use it to process electronic transactions. Stay tuned to the near future.

No comments: